3 mins read
Listen to this article:
Are you curious how cryptocurrencies stack up against some of the largest companies in the world or against commodities like gold and silver?
A study by Forex Suggest compared the market capitalization of the 30 largest cryptocurrencies against the 30 largest companies in the world and commodities of gold and silver – using historical and current data to project future growth.
The purpose of the study was to assess how much cryptocurrencies have grown by market cap relative to the most valuable companies and commodities in the world and what investments are on course to potentially be the best investments in years to come.
What motivated the study was the notion that while cryptocurrencies are getting a lot of attention in social media and news sources, the general consensus among many traditional investors is that cryptocurrencies have yet to fully catch on as a mainstream investment option.
Forex Suggest surmises that this is potentially due to its volatility, with values soaring, dropping, and rebounding back again, such has been the case with Bitcoin over its life cycle – which makes cryptocurrencies more difficult to predict.
The rapid changes in the crypto industry – such as the relative ease of creating and the constant influx of altcoins, use cases, etc. – are presumably other factors. Despite the volatility and variability within this industry, the trading growth and booming market cap of crypto assets suggest that cryptocurrency is here to stay.
So where do cryptocurrencies rank in terms of total value, including historical and projected growth rates against the leading global companies and commodities?
The top 10 investments in 2024 according to projections
These are projections of what the market cap of assets could look like by 2024 when analyzing average annual growth rates from 2018 to 2021 thus far.
|Rank||Asset||Asset Class||4 Year AverageAnnual Growth Rate%||Projected Jan. 2022||Projected Jan. 2023||Projected Jan. 2024|
|1||ASML||Company||373.68%||$ 1.1T||$ 5.0T||$ 23.7T|
|2||Gold||Commodity||8.27%||$ 12.8T||$ 13.9T||$ 15.0T|
|3||Tesla||Company||115.01%||$ 1.6T||$ 3.5T||$7.6T|
|4||Apple||Company||34.97%||$ 3.2T||$ 4.2T||$ 5.9T|
|5||Bitcoin||Crypto||103.50%||$ 1.3T||$ 2.6T||$ 5.2T|
|6||Ethereum||Crypto||198.19%||$ 456.8B||$ 1.4T||$ 4.1T|
|7||Microsoft||Company||32.00%||$ 2.3T||$ 3.1T||$ 4.0T|
|8||Amazon||Company||26.35%||$ 2.1T||$ 2.6T||$ 3.3T|
|9||Toyota||Company||138.28%||$ 466.2B||$ 1.1T||$ 2.6T|
|10||Dai||Crypto||1040.38%||$ 18.9B||$ 215.1B||$ 2.5T|
This only includes assets with data stretching back to 2018 for sufficient analysis.
· By 2024, three cryptocurrencies are on track to break into the top 10 best-performing assets.
· Bitcoin is projected to be the 5th strongest performing asset by 2024 with an estimated market value of over $5 trillion thanks to its 103.5% average annual growth rate. It would surpass long-standing giants including Microsoft, Amazon and Google by over $1 trillion. Bitcoin is currently dipping in and out of the top 10 highest value assets, but in just a few short years it could solidify its place.
· Ethereum sits just behind with an even higher average annual growth rate of 198%, set to be the 6th strongest asset in 2024. With a projected $5.1 trillion valuation, it would equally outperform the current top dogs like Facebook and silver, and the recent NFT boom can only strengthen its growth.
· The coin with the third-highest projected market cap is Dai, which could have a total value of $2.5 trillion. Because of its non-volatile nature, this stablecoin has grown at an astonishing rate - 1040.38% on average every year since 2018. But, it is pegged 1:1 with the US dollar so it is not necessarily seen as an investment choice.
The top 10 fastest-growing investments of 2021
These results look at which investments grew the most in value between January and September 2021. Looking at the top 10, cryptocurrencies dominate as the fastest-growing asset with only one company making the top 10.
Solana was the fastest-growing investment of 2021 - up 3476%.
|Rank||Asset||Asset Class||Market Cap31/01/2021||Market Cap 29/09/21||GrowthJan 2021 - Sept 2021|
|1||Solana||Crypto||$ 1.2B||$ 41.2B||3476%|
|2||Polygon||Crypto||$ 187.9M||$ 5.6B||2859%|
|3||Terra||Crypto||$ 695.3M||$ 14.3B||1956%|
|4||Avalanche||Crypto||$ 996.5M||$ 14.5B||1357%|
|5||ASML||Company||$ 223.4B||$ 3.1T||1292%|
|6||Algorand||Crypto||$ 810.0M||$ 9.7B||1093%|
|7||Binance Coin||Crypto||$ 6.8B||$ 63.5B||827%|
|8||Binance USD||Crypto||$ 1.5B||$ 13.4B||801%|
|9||Ethereum Classic||Crypto||$ 868.1M||$ 6.1B||600%|
|10||Dogecoin||Crypto||$ 4.0B||$ 26.6B||563%|
Apart from ASML, the top 10 fastest growing assets this year have all been cryptocurrencies:
· Solana has been the strongest performing investment option of 2021 so far, with its market cap growing by 3,476% since January to over $41 billion by the end of September. Many investors are optimistic about Solana thanks to the incredible speed and efficiency of its blockchain technology.
· The second biggest winner of 2021 is Polygon, with the market cap increasing by 2,859% this year, bringing the total value to just over $5.6 billion. Polygon is a platform for development and scaling on the Ethereum blockchain, and can therefore benefit from increased interest in Ethereum, and vice-versa.
· In third place is the cryptocurrency Terra, which has seen its market cap grow by 1,956% in 2021. Terra uses stable coins, pegged to fiat currencies, to carry out cross-border payments efficiently and with low fees.
Find the research, including results and methodology, here: https://forexsuggest.com/cryptocurrency-cap/